Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Top 5 Tips for Running Disney

This will be my third PHM weekend. I ran the Tangled 5K in 2012 and PHM in 2013, and I can't wait to head back for the GSC next month! There's a lot of information out there about how to run Disney and as runners we are expected to pick and choose what to listen to and what to ignore. Here are my top five tips for running Disney though:

1. If you are going to do run-walk intervals, be courteous towards those runners around you when you change your pace. One of the best pieces of advice I read before the 2013 PHM was to make sure I was as far to the side as I could be before I started slowing down and to raise my hand to alert those behind me that I was moving to a walk. It seems silly, to raise your hand like you're asking permission to run your race, but I promise you that it makes the experience much more enjoyable when you don't have more serious runners giving you dirty looks as they pass your slowing body.

2. Don't spent all day on your legs the day before your race. In 2012 I ran the 5K as my first ever race on Saturday and celebrated by spending the day at Magic Kingdom with my two friends running the half on Sunday. Not only were we exhausted, but their legs were much more tired on Sunday than during any of their long runs. We planned much better in 2013 and spent most of the morning/early afternoon at the expo and downtown Disney, and then stayed off of our feet and lounged at the hotel. It had a much better outcome Sunday morning!

3. Figure out how to fuel and hydrate your body before getting to Disney. Avoid foods that don't move through your system well. I know, it sounds super gross, but after spending my first princess weekend listening to my friends panic about having to go to the bathroom during the race, I was extra careful last year and had no problems. Hydrate like crazy for the entire week before the race. Your coworkers may look at you like you're nuts for going to the bathroom every 15 minutes but it will be worth it on race day, especially if it's as hot and humid as the 2013 PHM was.

4. Wear a costume! It doesn't have to be something elaborate if you aren't into that kind of thing, but if you are, go for it! In 2012 my friends and I made matching custom shirts from target drifit shirts, mouse ears cut from funky fabric, and sequin tiaras for the ears. Simple, but fun and Disney themed. Last year I went with my girl Ariel and made my own sparkly green skirt for $10 and paired it with a purple tank. This year is Belle and I'm going a little more traditional, but still comfortable.

Wear what's comfortablej for you and have fun with it. Where else can you dress like a princess as a grown adult and not be considered abnormal?

5. KEEP MOVING! I can not stress the importance of this enough. Believe me, I am one of the laziest people around and I know first hand how tempting it is to let myself lay around and relax after a long race. Especially Disney, when you have to be up at ungodly hours to start. Take a short nap if you need to, but don't linger too long in the hotel room. Get the shower, drain those legs, throw on the compression gear and your medal(s) and head to the parks for a celebratory lunch. We always go to Epcot for lunch in Mexico so we can get that much deserved margarita, and my God is it worth it. Walk the parks for the day, it will make recovery so much better. Fair warning though- it doesn't matter how much you move, by Sunday night/ Monday morning, going down stairs and moving from a standing to sitting position will be painful. I seriously had to hold onto things to use the bathroom, and getting onto certain rides at MK was torture. 

Remember to have fun! We've worked our butts off to get there and deserve to enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment